Thursday, May 8, 2014
Thursday, May 1, 2014
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Saturday, March 15, 2014
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Thursday, February 6, 2014
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Stephen Colbert on the lethal injection drug shortage: he suggests new methods of execution. He says we can use gravity to execute those on death row.
"Just shove the condemned off the Sears tower. If he survives the drop, remember he'll land in Chicago and someone will shoot him."
Also, he says, don't worry about it being cruel and unusual punishment. "If we are cruel often enough, it won't be unusual."
Monday, December 23, 2013
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Monday, December 16, 2013
Friday, December 6, 2013
2. Do you listen responsively to a story you have heard before rather than squash the pleasure of the boy who is telling it?
3. If you are going to the movies with another girl, do you look presentable enough to cope with an unexpected encounter?
4. If your bureau drawers or closets were open to view without warning, could you stand the inspection without apologies?
5. In a serious discussion which includes both sexes, can you keep from being overpowering even though you know a great deal on the subject?
6. If a boy forgets his manners, can you restrain yourself from correcting him?
7. Are you able to refuse a kiss without hurting a boy’s pride and sending him home in a huff?
8. If that special boy told you he liked your long hair, would you keep it long to please him?
9. Have you the courage to be nice to a boy whom the other girls consider a bore?
10. In stores, are you apt to moon over pretty lingerie and perfume?
Scoring: Seven or more yesses: you are a veritable flower of femininity! Five to seven yesses: there are a few thorns. Under five: ouch!
From the February 1960 issue of Seventeen magazine and Pink Think by Lynn Peril (2002).
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Monday, November 25, 2013
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Monday, September 23, 2013
Friday, September 13, 2013
Staley fatally shot Fort Worth Steak and Ale restaurant manager Robert Read in the course of a 1989 robbery that came at the end of a four-state crime spree with two accomplices. He was sentenced to death in 1991. ... "He believes there is a big conspiracy orchestrated by the state and that everybody, everybody, is part of the conspiracy," his attorney, John Stickels, said in May 2012. "He believes that he was wrongfully convicted because of the conspiracy." ... In February 2006, Staley's execution was stayed after the court found him mentally incompetent. In 2006, he told psychologist Mark Cunningham that the jury found him guilty because the judge was trying to steal his one-of-a-kind faded red 1958 Pontiac pickup, which he said had a $1.5 million street value, and because Oprah Winfrey paid off the jury.via The Texas Tribune
Thursday, September 5, 2013
Friday, August 30, 2013
Thursday, August 29, 2013
The university of Iowa had painted the lockerroom of the visiting football team pink as a way to calm/weaken their opponents.
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
A sad story on all sides. The 14 year old girl committed suicide. It sounds as if the judge said the girl was asking for it.
Tuesday, August 6, 2013
Would this work? IPads for inmates to curb recidivism: Baltimore Sun - Gansler proposes tablet computers for inmates
Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Thursday, May 30, 2013
Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Monday, May 20, 2013
Monday, May 13, 2013
Monday, April 29, 2013
and then there was this: Colleges Are Slashing Adjuncts' Hours to Skirt New Rules on Health-Insurance Eligibility
because adjuncts are paid by class, the nuances of how many hours worked per week are not taken into consideration. but cutting the number of classes taught is not lessening the workload as class enrollments are increasing dramatically. the workload is actually increasing while the pay is going down.