Saturday, March 7, 2015
Monday, March 2, 2015
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
Monday, January 5, 2015
Friday, December 19, 2014
Sunday, December 14, 2014
Sunday, October 19, 2014
Now through the white orchard my little dog
romps, breaking the new snow
with wild feet.
Running here running there, excited,
hardly able to stop, he leaps, he spins
until the white snow is written upon
in large, exuberant letters,
a long sentence, expressing
the pleasures of the body in this world.
Oh, I could not have said it better.
Thursday, October 2, 2014
Thursday, September 18, 2014
"But maybe keep in mind that moving inequality around isn’t exactly the same as addressing inequality."
Love it! From an article doing a great public service to keep us thinking about the harms of for-profit education and reminding us of the link between that and poverty.
Friday, September 5, 2014
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Sunday, July 27, 2014
Monday, June 2, 2014
Thursday, May 8, 2014
Thursday, May 1, 2014
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Saturday, March 15, 2014
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Thursday, February 6, 2014
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Stephen Colbert on the lethal injection drug shortage: he suggests new methods of execution. He says we can use gravity to execute those on death row.
"Just shove the condemned off the Sears tower. If he survives the drop, remember he'll land in Chicago and someone will shoot him."
Also, he says, don't worry about it being cruel and unusual punishment. "If we are cruel often enough, it won't be unusual."
Monday, December 23, 2013
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Monday, December 16, 2013
Friday, December 6, 2013
2. Do you listen responsively to a story you have heard before rather than squash the pleasure of the boy who is telling it?
3. If you are going to the movies with another girl, do you look presentable enough to cope with an unexpected encounter?
4. If your bureau drawers or closets were open to view without warning, could you stand the inspection without apologies?
5. In a serious discussion which includes both sexes, can you keep from being overpowering even though you know a great deal on the subject?
6. If a boy forgets his manners, can you restrain yourself from correcting him?
7. Are you able to refuse a kiss without hurting a boy’s pride and sending him home in a huff?
8. If that special boy told you he liked your long hair, would you keep it long to please him?
9. Have you the courage to be nice to a boy whom the other girls consider a bore?
10. In stores, are you apt to moon over pretty lingerie and perfume?
Scoring: Seven or more yesses: you are a veritable flower of femininity! Five to seven yesses: there are a few thorns. Under five: ouch!
From the February 1960 issue of Seventeen magazine and Pink Think by Lynn Peril (2002).